Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Normandy

I took a quick weekend trip to Normandy where I stepped into a world of history I never before understood or even knew about really. They call it D-day; June 6 1944. The day then allied forces composed of Americans, French, British and Canadian troop boated across the English channel to the heavily fortressed beaches of Northern France. The Germans had occupies those beaches for years and therefore had built up massive bunkers and bases to counter any invasion. The amount of destruction that took place on that day and the days that followed is horrifying. I went to every memorial imaginable as I was traveling with two WWII-savvy men. They took me everywhere and told me every story. Walking on those beaches was a reverencing experience.

I was able to walk around the massive plot of land above the beach where 10,000 marble white crosses are planted into the ground, row by row, marking the graves of the deceased americans.


Look how much respect I have for these sights. I even hugged the giant rusty gun.




I feel like this experience opened my mind to what was done to maintain what we call freedom in our part of the world. I have a greater appreciation for the liberties I enjoy. I believe everyone should have some sort of grasp on the magnitude of the events that transpired in WWII. I am not avid about history, in fact I don't find much interest in knowing dates and places. But I do now feel the need to know about events.

I am going to Spain and Italy next week. That will be the greatest of all the adventures I think.

Until then,

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment