Sunday, February 21, 2010

Accross the Sea--San Diego to Brussels

I flew out of LAX Thursday afternoon. With a mechanical delay of about an hour, and a 10 hour flight ahead of me I found myself very happy to be seated next to a very nice, outgoing, sarcastic lady from Pennsylvania. We talked as if we had been friends for 13 years. Then after an hour on the ground, ten more in the air and a crummy meal on the plane she slipped me some NyQuil, assuring me that is was way worth it...so I gave in, popped a pill and was out! I woke up at 11am London time just as the plane was landing. I thought I had it made having slept all that time. I had no idea what I was getting into.

After walking across Heathrow international airport (no less than 2 miles I swear) with literally 150 lbs of luggage I was beat. I got onto a tube only to find that the line on which I was traveling had "severe delays" so when it stopped



I got off on pulled a classic Johnny and stepped on to some random subway, the first one I saw..luckily this one led me directly to Parliament Square, exactly where I was planning on going to meet my friend Ruby. I had planned on leaving my luggage first at the house of where I was staying, but since I was on this train I decided to just take it with me.


So there I am lugging a bunch of bags in front of parliament. Then I arrived at the rendezvous point which was Westminster's Abby.

It was quite a day.
And those are some serious bags under my eyes.

This morning (Sunday) I got on a train and arrived here...finally, to Brussels Belgium. I am here with an American family that is hosting me for the next three months. They are very kind and I think these next few months will be great. Tomorrow morning I will be picked up to go to work at NATO headquarters.
I have to go to the embassy for State Department orientation on Tuesday. I really have now idea what its all going to be like.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Johnny

1 comment:

  1. Johnny. Did you know Wes and I are actually considering naming our firstborn Johnny? Pending your acceptance of being his godfather of course.

    Be good.

    ReplyDelete