Saturday, February 27, 2010

NATO, Brussels, and Trilingual Bums

I don't think the phrase "Melting Pot" does this place justice. This week has been a wild exploration of so many new thing. I was sitting on the subway when a homeless man of 35 years old boarded and began to approach each person asking what language they spoke. Then he proceeded to ask for money in the appropriate language (Dutch French English or whatever). I never thought I'd see that.

I awake each morning at 7:30, dress up like a "professional" and head to the corner where the white NATO shuttle passes. Upon arriving at the head quarters I pass through a first gate of security where I flash the badge that hangs around my neck to a group of guards. then upon entering the building, another gate asks me to slide a security card to access the innards of the building. The chic entrance of NATO looks more like a hotel lobby. Glass sliding doors and high-teck plasma screens create a very "international" ambiance. I then walk down the long main hall to where the US delegation is. I flash yet another badge (this time a state department one). Everyone has to empty their pockets of cells phone or any electronic device for such items are not allowed within the delegation. The US wing of NATO is the biggest and "best" at NATO (would our government let it be any other way?). I work in what is called Civil Emergency Planning (CEP). This branch of NATO is a body that coordinates efforts from the different ally nations to respond to man-made or natural hazards. I cannot even begin to explain how extensive the processes are that are involved in CEP's planning. It is a HUGE political game that is very SLOW and often contentious. Every nation has their idea of how it should work and the ideals clash. There is no soveriegn power in the internaional system, and therefore the decision making procedure is long and arduous. Within CEP there are 10 or so committees that take on various roles and responsibilities. My boss belongs to several of these including SCEPC (the senior council of CEP) so I sit in on a lot of these meeting. I wish I could snap a photo of how it works (though I would be shot if I did..I'm almost not kidding) It's so interesting! All the nations represented around giant oval table formation. Translators in the booth. There are so many aspects to this whole NATO thing that I would have never imagined. It is fascinating.

I've been exploring the city of Brussels. So full of old culture mixed into a modern concoction of Government buildings and businesses.

So much chocolate.
What a beautiful city



I got lucky and ran into a Musical Instrument Museum. 5 stories of the history of musical instruments. I loved that.




this is a double necked guitar. I had thought that Jimmy Page invented that idea. I guess not.



So it's been so good being here. Overwhelming and a bit lonely at times but I am happy overall. I am going to Italy in 10 days and I'll surely have photos and stories to share.

Until then,


Johnny

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Juan. You're so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! Looks like you're having a good time. And keep up the blog! That way I can see your wonderful pictures and hear your fantastic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to go to that Musical Instrument Museum! And speaking of chocolate, I heard a quote today: "I've had enough Chicken Soup for the soul. Now I need CHOCOLATE." What a great philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think I could handle all that waiting through the arduous process. But I'm so totally jealous! That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete